American Psycho- Christian Bale's Cult Film

 American Psycho 2000

by

Mary Harron

 


 

26 years after the film was released and 35 years after Bret Easton Ellis’ novel was published, Christian Bale’s Patrick Bateman played still gives the creeps. The film mercilessly trolled consumerism like David Fincher’s Fight Club, written by Chuck Palahniuk did, but while Ed Norton’s yuppie evoked a bit of sympathy, Bale does not allow Bateman any soft landing or chance at redemption. No sir, he’s going straight to hell. A villain who is disappointed on finding out that the man he had supposedly murdered still lives. Bale, and the director, Marry Harron, were ousted from the film at one point, even as Leonardo DiCaprio and Oliver got attached to it, but looking back, Bale commands a sort of natural meanness and risk-taking ability that DiCaprio with his boyish charm and huge fan following cannot match.

 

Patrick Bateman, a top corporate executive, wore a carefully-curated consumerist mask over a savage killer’s face.

“There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.

He might have been too far gone, but he was not an island of unrest in an ocean of sanity. Yuppies (young urban professionals of 80s) were pretty jealous of each other’s fancy possessions and new acquisitions. A friend’s increased relevance or a rival’s raised level of access filled them with anxiety. A colleague’s gold embossed executive card printed in finer font was an object of envy! The thought of a competitor landing a reservation in a lounge that you could not was unbearable? An acquaintance’s park-facing apartment, obviously more expensive, gave Bateman momentary panic! Drawing inspiration from Tom Cruise, Bale portrayed a man who conveyed ‘very intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes’.

 

He had a fiancé, but they had no real connection. Resse Witherspoon was as self-centred and materialistic as he was. They did get together occasionally, even made some conversation, but did not actually talk to each other. She habitually nagged about marriage until he casually evaded the topic by pretending to be irritated at which point she put it off with casual abandon. It was not just that they’re not serious about it, rather marriage did not hold any meaning for these slick operators. Imagine trying to break up with a confession about murderous tendencies, telling your fiancé that she was not terribly important to you and finally rushing out with an excuse like “I have to return some videotapes”.  

 

That’s a cold line about videotapes. Throughout the film, Bateman talked about various music labels, videotapes and albums, whenever bloodlust took over him, describing Huey Lewis’, Phil Collins’ and Whitney Houston’s discography in great detail with fervent passion. Gourmet food, spic-span dressing, quality music juxtaposed with beautiful faces, glowing flesh and lots of blood and violence, with complete lack of empathy is what American Psycho is all about.

 

Was Patrick Bateman actually a killer, or did he merely wish to cause bloodbath around himself? Was he schizophrenic in the extreme? This theory assumes importance since he was often addressed with other names. All empathy within him had died, despite him claiming that ‘he was in touch with humanity’. There was no catharsis, no anodyne, no redemption for him. Even his confessional had no utility for anyone. He bowed out with the following words which expressed the horror of his existential condition-

“There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape. But even after admitting this, there is no catharsis; my punishment continues to elude me, and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself. No new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.”

 

After watching American Psycho multiple times (no one can watch it once. It is either left midway during the first viewing or is watched now and then, as per taste), it is no longer possible to ignore the murmur of murders and executions when someone utters mergers and acquisitions. Every time I visit an ATM machine, I check the screen for ‘Feed me a Stray Cat’ message. Then I jut out my mouth to mimic Patrick Bateman’s jaw-cut. A mean smile escapes my eyes. I’m no different, then, from the man who confessed “I like to dissect girls. Do you know I’m utterly insane”.

 

Marry Harron, the director did a wonderful job on the script too, with Guinevere Turner, to turn an unfilmable sort of novel into a fine film. Of course, the material was strong, and Christian Bale bared it all to become the American Psycho, yet a lot of credit must go to the screenplay. The ever-reliable William Dafoe, wonderful Jared Leto, Justin Theroux, Josh Lucas and Resse Witherspoon have done their bit. There is ‘no one way’ of watching and comprehending this film. It is at once a celebration of western luxury and an indictment of western self-centredness. It sells, yet mocks, consumerism, debauchery and violence, and can be considered as a documentation of man’s loneliness and death of his feelings, and his cry for help.

 

 

 

 

#netflix #christianbale #ressewitherspoon #jaredleto #williamdafoe #ameanpsycho #breteastonellis #consumerism #cultfilm #hollywood #maryharron #confessional #violence #serialkiller #yuppie #loneliness

 

 

 

 

 

Comments