THE WOLF OF WALL STREET - Leo, Jonah or McConaughey?


The Wolf of Wall Street 2013
By
Martin Scorsese



For anyone who swears by both Martin Scorsese and Robert de Niro, Leonardo Decaprio has sneaked in as an imposter. I have enjoyed almost all of Leonardo’s non-Scorsese work, but when it comes to his partnership with Marty, I have always had my doubts and have never been able to watch these films dispassionately. In The Gangs of New York, I could just see Daniel Day Lewis. In The Aviator, I thought Leonardo overdid his part a bit. The Departed belonged to Jack Nicholson, and Mark Wahlberg stole the rest of it from Leonardo and Matt Damon. Shutter Island failed to impress me much despite the hype. When I first saw The Wolf of Wall Street, I liked the film but thought McConaughey was unlucky to get a very small part and that the film was too long. Leonardo was good, but maybe not exceptional. I also felt justice was done when Mc pipped Leo at the Oscars for his role in DALLAS BUYERS CLUB. I don't think Leonardo has been able to give his best while teaming up with Martin Scorsese. His best has come in films like The Revenant and Django Unchained. But that’s a very unpopular and possibly biased view and I am humbly aware of that.

I watched THE WOLF OF THE WALL STREET again yesterday, without any expectations. One thing strikes you like a hot air blow is just how much is Marty obsessed with drugs. The film should have been named THE LUDE REMINISCENES or still better A LUDE UP YOUR ASS. McConaughey as the senior stockbroker in Rothchild's and an early mentor for Leo is just mind-blowing. He sets the tone for the rest of the film to follow. It's all about coke, pussy and dollars and the ability of a broker to keep the money invested and the deals flowing. Damn, he should have been nominated for the Best Supporting Actor as well, not Jonah Hill. Now the latter was good in his part, but he doesn’t ignite one’s imagination as McCon does. It was a role to remember and not even a nomination to show for it! Leo takes up the film from where McCon leaves and keeps it afloat. 

Then there is Margot Robbie, there are penny stocks and there are IPOs, sure enough there is FBI on his trail, and then there is a lot of sex, drugs and rock and roll. They live hard and earn big. Big money thrives on the frontier of craziness and genius. One needs inspiration to inhabit that zone. Goodfellas was an epic on drug trade and wise guys. The Wolf is a tribute to the mayhem on the Wall street.

The film is good, as all Leo-Marty collabs are. But it stops short of being a great work. While the actor is earnest, he gets too conscious of Bobby's footsteps that he has stepped into. As for Marty, there is no doubt that even an Auteur slips with time. But one must concede that this has been his best effort (till yet) since he won the Oscar for The Departed. He won his eighth nomination for best directorial effort, which was won by Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity.
The Wolf manages to thrill, and if we stop the comparison business, fulfils its promise.







#jonahhill #martinscorsese #leonardodecaprio #matthewmcconaughey #thewolfofwallstreet #margotrobbie #lude

Comments